In September and October 2020 Yonder surveyed 99 MPs in the latest wave of Yonder’s parliamentary research. The research – conducted while the UK continued to tackle the coronavirus pandemic and MPs adapted to the impact of restrictions on their own work as well as on their constituents – found that:
- MPs across the House of Commons remain most concerned about healthcare and the NHS amid the coronavirus pandemic. 91% of MPs mention concerns about the NHS/healthcare, which is almost unchanged since July’s 93%.
- Concerns about the economy, employment and business support surged in April and remain high among MPs. 67% express concerns linked to the economy and such concern is consistent across the two main parties.
- Brexit (31%), housing (27%) and transport/roads (15%) made up the other issues in the top five. Concerns regarding Brexit have increased – after falling between November 2019 and July 2020 – as the UK’s EU transition draws to a close.
- Climate change and the environment has dropped down the list of concerns. At the start of 2020, one-in-five MPs (22%) mentioned climate change or the environment in their list of major concerns, but that has halved to just 11% of MPs in the October wave of research.
- Concerns about benefits and Universal Credit have also declined throughout 2020. In August 2019, 37% mentioned such concerns and 23% raised them in February 2020. Since then, however, the proportion of MPs mentioning benefits or Universal Credit has dropped to just 7% in October 2020.
Yonder is a consultancy that blends research, strategy and imagination to unlock opportunity and deliver business performance.
Launched in October 2020, Yonder brings together the expertise of four specialist businesses: the award-winning research and consultancy of Populus, the brand and business strategy of BrandCap, and the insight-led innovation of Decidedly. The state-of-the-art data capture of Populus Data Solutions has rebranded to Yonder Data Solutions.
Yonder has a team of 175 researchers, data analysts, strategists, creatives, culture experts and innovators based in London, New York and Hong Kong.
Yonder’s clients include Amazon, BT, Costa Coffee, Formula 1, Lane Crawford, Marks & Spencer, Nationwide, Premier League, Oriental Bank, RBS, Rosewood Hotels and Toyota.
If you’d like to find out more, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.